Wednesday, September 10, 2014

Hopeful Romantics Association


"And you can tell who's never been loved before, because no matter how it ended, a person that's really been loved, still believes in it."
Rob Hill, Sr


I used to be a hopeless romantic. Used to be.

This doesn't mean that I am not a romantic anymore, I just think of myself more as a hopeful romantic these days.


Because there's hope. My dreams are valid :-)


I switched from being a hopeless romantic because it sort of felt as though that meant there was really no hope for the things I believe in. However, I have been privileged to meet a few people who have shown me that there is hope.

I am such a romantic. Trust me, I don not demand anything that I am unable or unwilling to give. I know relationships go through phases and the excitement settles down, which is inevitable, but I REFUSE to believe that means that the romance should die.


Love, I have come to learn, is a series of PRE-PLANNED, PREMEDITATED, PRE-THOUGHT actions. Love is patient, Love is Kind. It does not envy, it does not boast, it is not proud. It is not rude, it is not self-seeking, it is not easily angered, it keeps no record of wrongs. People, those characteristics are not feelings, they are choices. They are not nouns (that is, naming words), they are verbs (doing words). Actions that you have to consciously decide to do. Daily.


Love is not magical, Love is intentional.

I believe in being intentional about my love. I have come to learn that there is so much that can get in the way, and so many things that can take over and most often than not, the person who bears the brunt of most of it is the person who shouldn't. Your partner.


The problem with a person like me is that when you pursue me, I encourage you to set realistic goals for yourself. Because you will be EXPECTED to maintain the standards you've set. However, the most important thing to me is time. Love =  Time. Time is the language you speak to me if you love me. You will never be able to convince me you care about me if you have no time for me. And that’s the major thing I ask for, and that’s the reason why I call myself a high maintenance girl. I'm high maintenance because I want your most valuable asset – your time.

Sure in the beginning it may be magical. It’s easy. Very easy. Because you are excited. You’re happy and being with this person comes oh so naturally to you. It’s kind of like when you have a new job. It’s exciting. You get up early in the morning and you’re just rearing to go.
But soon, the excitement begins to fade. And that manifests in many ways. You still love/care about the person, but you suddenly begin to think that it’s ok if I only talk to them once a day, its ok if I only see them once every other week. And that’s the point at which you need to take control and become intentional about your love.

Here’s the thing – a relationship is a job. Yes, it is full time work. Most people don’t like to think of it that way, but that doesn’t make it any less true. I honestly believe that if we put as much intentional efforts into their love as they did into their jobs or other things that they are passionate about, a whole lot of these things would work out a lot better.

I believe in love. A whole lot. I believe in relationships, I believe in romance, I believe in finding my somebody and building a life of memories together. I believe in all these things because just like I have made a choice to believe in them, I have made a choice to live them. I am incurably a Hopeful Romantic. Will it be easy? No. Will it be worth it? Absolutely!

Try it, I dare you.


".... yet if i could do it all over again 
id do it in the same skin I'm in 
to lay down and let love die 
just stay down and let love lie? 
no, no..not i 
id stay around and let love fly 
even though i have seen its darkest form 
deceit 
nothing else could taste this warm 
or feel this sweet..."

2 comments:

  1. High maintenance girl over here... o/

    ReplyDelete
  2. hmmmmm.......... i need to believe in relationships, romance, in finding my somebody and building a life of memories together

    ReplyDelete